Take the next step in adding advanced rate shopping functionality and start building stronger-than-ever customer revenue streams.
Automated Rate Shopping
Automatically choose the most cost effective and time efficient method of transit to get each package onto the truck and out to customers faster than ever.
Rate Shopping is Our Sweet Spot
The pros know best, and we've been "the pros" for almost two decades.
In a time where shipping convenience expectations are high, we push to offer our clients the most advanced rate shopping functionality in the industry.
The results? Money saved by always choosing the lowest-cost method to get packages out the door, allowing you to fulfill your customers’ expectations in an instant.
Carrier Rate Shopping Explained
The three rate shopping options and choosing what's best for your business.
Basic Rate Shopping
Basic rate shopping is the first, and simplest form. This is a behind-the-scenes service that will automatically provide you with your best shipping options while considering total cost and applicable service selection.
With basic rate shopping, a simple sort by total cost should finish the business rule. Too many systems will look at only part of this equation and not the total – they may not have the ability to take the same transaction and hand it to an LTL service that you would then hand to a small parcel service. There needs to be a lot of translation at the get-go. Doesn’t matter if it’s UPS, Deliv, FedEx – our systems come back with a normalized set of information.
- Total Cost: The amount that we expect the account holder to pay – this includes item and shipping charges.
- Applicable Service Selection: Considers several different secondary factors:
- Rate Shop Groups (previously known as best way groups): A set of carrier services that you want to evaluate.
- Cost Normalization: You need your shipping system to normalize cost across all carriers, modes and services. It is important not to think about the base rate separate from the assessorial, fuel surcharges and discounted self. In the end, all this rolls up into total cost (the cost the shipper will pay).
- Service Validation by Destination: There are certain services that do not deliver to all addresses. For example, UPS will never ship to a PO Box, and Next Day Early AM (utilized by UPS and FedEx) will not deliver to all addresses.
- Service Validation by Package Attributes: Some services are residential-only, such as FedEx Home Delivery. The system needs to weed that service out before presenting you with options. Sometimes depending on the package weight, it may or may not qualify for particular services; for example, a 4.5 oz letter wouldn’t be a good fit for LTL.
Time in Transit Rate Shopping
Time in transit rate shopping takes the sorted rate shopping list and filters by business days that the package would be in transit. When using this type of rate shopping, all the previously listed filters (total cost and applicable service selection) are accounted for, but a third is added.
Time in Transit: How many business days it will take a carrier to transit the package from the shipper to the consignee
The king of rate shopping - Advanced Date Shopping* - includes planning for delivery by a target date. This algorithm includes 9 data sets to maximize the ability for your shipment to be delivered on the promised date.
Importantly, with criterion including customer day/hour of choice, label creation time, trailer pull time and carrier contracted days, you can prevent external factors from getting in the way of you fulfilling your shipment promises. This results in money saved through close deliveries by using lower-cost carrier services or couriers with the peace of mind that the system will use express services in the event of a longer fulfillment time or longer distance. This then allows you to fulfill your customers’ expectations automatically.
*An advanced functionality only available through ProShip (patent pending)
- Normalization: As mentioned in basic rate shopping above, cost normalization, service validation by destination and parcel attributes, plus best way groups are all accounted for in this step.
- Basic Rate Shopping: This is where the program sorts by cost.
- Time in Transit Rate Shopping: The time it actually takes for the carrier to move a shipment from point A to point B.
- Customer Day/Hour of Choice: What expectation have you sold the customer? Do they expect it on Friday, or today by 5:00pm?
- Label Creation Time: When are we physically creating the label, and when is it actually being stamped and put on the trailer?
- Trailer Pull Times: This factors in when the trailer physically leaves the hub. For example, if you are shipping something at noon, all the trucks/carriers are still available. If you put a label on a box at 4:15pm, the USPS trailer may have already taken off for the day.
- Contracted Pick Up, Transit, and Delivery Days: Each business will have a contract with carriers for which days they will pick up, drop off, and deliver packages for them.
The Science Behind Smarter Shipping
Understanding advanced rate shopping functionality that only ProShip provides.
Advanced Date Shopping - the king of rate shopping - includes planning for delivery by a target date. This algorithm includes 9 data sets to maximize the ability for your shipment to be delivered on the promised date.
The ProShip Solution
Helping the Top 100 Retailers rate shop for over a decade.
You deserve the #1 in speed, compliance, reliability and experience. With ProShip you will...
- Improve customer satisfaction & retention
- Increase productivity & profitability
- Stay flexible & intensify visibility
Learn why today's top companies like Ulta, Staples, QVC, Trek Bicycle, REI and Sephora trust ProShip as their multi-carrier shipping solution.
UPS Follows Suit: New Peak Surcharges for 2021
Hear from ProShip shipping experts for how your shipping costs will be affected by UPS’s new surcharges.
[ProShip ParcelCast] Episode 10: Parcels to Pallets: Benefits of the Right Partner
ProShip is joined by Open Sky Group to break down what customers can expect to gain from working with niche partners.
enVista’s myShipINFO® to Be Implemented into ProShip Multi-Carrier Shipping Software, Delivering Unmatched Visibility and Optimization of Shipment Activity Within a Network
enVista’s business intelligence product will enhance ProShip’s shipper user experience, providing end-to-end…
New Carrier Service Announcement: Collect+ Delivered by Yodel
ProShip is growing the list of carrier service to include UK-based Collect+ delivered by Yodel parcel service.